The Salesforce ant migration toolkit is nothing but a JAVA based tool for creating the movement between a local directory and a salesforce company. It can be beneficial in the following situations:
- The migration tool can be helpful during the migration process in the IT department where the different stages are converting into the final product. The developers who are accustomed with the scripting process can find the tool as a very similar process.
- The same parameters can be used repetitively with the tool where all the meta data of your organization can easily make changes within the subset of the important components.
- Test environments can be filled with all type of development projects, where the changes can be used through the web interfaces.
- The Salesforce.com migration toolkit can be beneficial in the multistage release method where the process involves staging and testing before launching the product.
Directory Structure And Package: The tool can perform its operations through the metadata API packages. The packages can be of different types like:
Manage Package: There are various packages that can be found in the AppExchange and all the packages can be managed through the License Management Organization. A company can create only one package. Other organizations in the industry can download and install them in their system. The managed package includes some locked components that can be upgraded at a later stage.
Unmanaged Package: Applied for the open source projects, the unmanaged packages are useful for the application templates. The developers can build basic blocks of the application through the various components. As soon as the components are installed in the unmanaged package, they can be customized for the specific organization.
Unpackaged: The standard objects of your organizations can come under the unpackaged group.
Installation Process of The Migration Tool: For the installation process, the Force.com tool needs to be downloaded.
Step 1 : Through your deployment machine, you need to log into the Salesforce company
Step 2 : From the Setup section, you can click Develop> tools and finally click on the Force.com migration tool
Step 3 : Now, you can easily save the zip file and extract all the contents from the directory of your choice.
Step 4 : The ant-salesforce.jar can be copied and pasted into the installation lib directory. The lib directory is placed in the root folder of the ant installation.
After you have successfully extracted the zip files, some folders and files will appear by default:
- A jar file can appear with different tasks like ant-salesforce.jar
- A read.me.html file that explains the method of using the tool
- Some sample folders with examples, objects and various classes.
Adding Or Deleting Components With Single Deployment: The components of the deployment can easily be added or deleted by updating various packages. The deletion process takes place before the addition. A manifest file can be created named as the destructiveChangesPre.xml that can include all the components that are required to be deleted. If the addition process is required in prior, then the file can be created in the name destructiveChangesPost.xml. When you are deleting components with dependencies, the specific method for deletion is required to be modified. For example , if a custom object is present in the Apex class you cannot modify until the Apex class is removed from the custom objects.
Therefore, deploying changes in the organization can be done by following some parameters with the components of the field and the description. For the deployment purpose, the tests can be run; the code, components and the status of the tasks can also be checked thoroughly.