Troubled Mortgage Insurers Represent Yet Another Financial Hurdle

The financial world now has even more to worry about. Mortgage insurers — the companies who guarantee a portion of the loan balance in the event of borrower …

The financial world now has even more to worry about. Mortgage insurers — the companies who guarantee a portion of the loan balance in the event of borrower default — are running into serious financial problems. This spells bad news for banks, taxpayers and the housing industry as a whole. For more on this, read the following article from HousingWire.

Imagine paying full premium for an insurance contract, and receiving only 60 percent on any claim you make — that’s the unsavory situation now being faced by both Fannie Mae (FNM: 0.7001 +2.96%) and Freddie Mac (FRE: 0.7606 +2.78%), as well as a bevy of private-market lenders, on their mortgage insurance contracts with troubled mortgage insurer Triad Guaranty Inc. (TGIC: 0.24 +27.12%).

The insurer, which put itself into run-off and ceased writing new mortgage insurance policies in the middle of last year, said late Wednesday that it had received a corrective order from its regulator, the Illinois Director of Insurance, limiting its payout on claims to 60 percent. The remaining 40 percent of a claim will essentially take the form of an IOU, or a deferred payment obligation (DPO), meaning the lender/investor will not recover the full amount of its claim.

Which means one thing: get ready for loss severities to go up, as servicers recover less on a growing number of bad loans. Especially so if other mortgage insurers are eventually forced to follow Triad’s lead, as some analysts say they expect.

Claim up to $26,000 per W2 Employee

  • Billions of dollars in funding available
  • Funds are available to U.S. Businesses NOW
  • This is not a loan. These tax credits do not need to be repaid
The ERC Program is currently open, but has been amended in the past. We recommend you claim yours before anything changes.

For the GSEs, the pain of the change at Triad is likely to be immediately felt. More than half of Triad’s roughly $17 billion risk-in-force is written on mortgages held or otherwise guaranteed by Fannie and Freddie; Bank of America Corp. (BAC: 7.1801 +1.85%) and Wells Fargo & Co. (WFC: 15.1503 +4.63%) are the insurer’s largest private market customers, Triad CEO Ken Jones told reporters on a call Thursday morning.

In a frequently asked questions document, Triad noted that policyholders will still be required to pay the full premium, since “Triad is recognizing its entire claim obligation at the time of the claim through the cash payment and DPO, with the intent of paying the DPO amount in the future.” But when that future is is pretty uncertain, to say the least: the future payment can only occur when the insurer’s regulator sees the insurer achieve specified minimum surplus balances and risk-to-capital ratios. It’s unclear how a company that is not bringing in new revenue can be expected to bolster its level of capital.

“Continuing volatility in the housing and mortgage markets, as well as the overall economy, make it very difficult to forecast Triad’s future financial position with certainty,” the company said Wednesday evening. Auditors slapped the insurer with a ‘going concern’ warning for its 2008 financials earlier in the year, as well.

“This is regulated highway robbery,” said one senior banking executive, who said he expected the move and expects to see more. “Banks and others depending on MI to mitigate some losses now have to at least ask themselves ‘what is the likelihood my insurer decides or is forced to cut my claims coverage?’” It’s a question that auditors may also ask, he said, in terms of estimating a bank’s exposure to bad loans.

In February, Moody’s Investors Service downgraded all mortgage insurers over concerns with capital adequacy amid a worsening U.S. housing market.

This article has been reposted from HousingWire. View the article on HousingWire’s mortgage finance news website here.


Does Your Small Business Qualify?

Claim Up to $26K Per Employee

Don't Wait. Program Expires Soon.

Click Here

Share This:

In this article