The beginning of 2016 saw MariaDB Corporation receive $9miilion equity financing from several investors, among them Intel Corp. MariaDB Corporation, one of the advanced companies renowned for its powerful open-source database software, received this boost just when it was ushering in a new management. Michael Widenius, one of the of the core founders of MySQL, now joins the company in the capacity of Chief Technology Officer. MySQL, which he pioneered alongside other founders, was sold to Sun Microsystems back in 2008 at a whooping price of $1 billion.
In another twist of events, Michael Howard, who until late was heading Analytics Company C9, was named MariaDB’s Chief Executive Officer. Following the recent funding activities, the Finland-based company total funding is capped at $40 million. This takes into consideration an earlier funding activity by Intel Corporation on the same company back in 2013.
In an emailed response to questions on how the money will change operations at MariaDB, the current CEO detailed that the received funds will be used to improve the customer service and part of it used in bringing in new talents, including remote DBA experts, to the firm. What’s more, part of the money will help the company meet its marketing agendas by adding essential resources necessary for the same. Ideally, this incredible financing will serve as a major boost to the company’s activities.
In yet another close revelation, Howard outlined that some of the money would be used in establishing new features and products that are non-existent in the current market. Quoting his words, he declared, ‘A portion of the investment will go to building features and products that no other database team is building today’. He did not fail to admit the importance of the new Chief Technology Officer, Michael Monty, in realizing this dream. He acknowledged his essential role saying that he was the brain behind the massive engineering team.
Claim up to $26,000 per W2 Employee
- Billions of dollars in funding available
- Funds are available to U.S. Businesses NOW
- This is not a loan. These tax credits do not need to be repaid
MariaDB’s Chief Executive Officer further revealed that he would use his position to address key issues that have been in the frontline in the past years. He promised that MariaDB will consider closely the menace of hacking and cyber-attack. It comes at a time when most companies are suffering from external cyber-attacks across the globe.
As of the latest statistics,
· The company’s database boasts of 9 million users and the number keeps growing daily.
· The company takes pride in powering the world’s famous dictionary, Wikipedia, through its reliable open-source database system. Wikipedia is reported to have been one of the renowned customers to have moved from MySQL to MariaDB.
· The company’s database is contained in all distributions of Linux Operating System.
· In addition, it is also offered by cloud services owned by RackSpace Hosting Inc. and Microsoft Corp’s Azure.
The history of MariaDB traces back a couple of years ago when it was established as an offshoot for the already established MySQL’s database management system. This followed the buying of Sun Microsystems by Inc.