Did you know that starting a moving company doesn’t mean that you will need to invest in big trucks, expensive equipment, and a warehouse? There are a lot of cities today wherein a lot of residents who are moving locally require just a minimal amount of help. Also, a large number of people are looking for in-house help that requires manpower when moving heavy furniture.
So, how to start a moving company? what are the things you need to know before you start your own moving company? Consider the following:
Draft A Plan
There are two important kinds of plans that you need to draft before you start a business, and these are business and financial plans.
You shouldn’t start a business without a business plan. This serves as your plan of action, and this is a necessity when starting any kind of business. Having a business plan will help you answer the question, “How?” This is also where you will put the forecast for the development of your business. In order to make a good business plan, you need to focus on key points and certain opportunities that you need to take advantage of. List down possible problems that could arise, as well as the solutions to remedy these issues. A business plan should also make your firm unique from those that are treading the same path.
A financial plan, on the other hand, is where you will price out types of equipment that you will need to purchase to run the business. Having the right equipment is vital because if you invest in reliable and durable materials, they will save you a lot of money and headaches in the future.
A top priority investment that you need to think about is a moving truck. Being a moving company, this will be one of your greatest assets. The vehicle that you will purchase needs to be reliable and large enough to accommodate different kinds of furniture. Also, it must be able to protect valuables from the likes of rain and snow. Furthermore, it would be wise to invest in a ramp that will make moving things in and out of your vehicle easier.
Claim up to $26,000 per W2 Employee
- Billions of dollars in funding available
- Funds are available to U.S. Businesses NOW
- This is not a loan. These tax credits do not need to be repaid
Other things that you might include in your financial plan are the following:
- Moving straps
- Tarps to keep items dry during transport
- Boxes (if you are thinking about offering packing services)
Before you can fully run your business, you will need to get certain permits. These are legal authorizations that you need to obtain first and foremost no matter what state you are in. However, the kinds of permits that you would need to get vary from one location to another, so it is best to contact your local state regulatory authority for more clarification on this matter.
Get An Insurance Quote
Insurance plays an important role in business. Inquire with insurance company representatives about their commercial rate coverages for vehicles, liability insurance on your business, as well as insurance on items that will be moved to and fro. If you will be hiring workers, then they also need to have workers’ compensation coverage.
Get Proper Training
These are the kinds of training that you need to attend before operating your moving company:
- Moving Training: In this area, you will be trained on how to better pack and load things. This will also help you become more efficient during the whole moving process.
- Sales Training: Proper sales techniques will teach you how to book more jobs that will help increase your earnings and profits.
Advertise Your New Business
Advertising your company is a way to let people know that you are now in business. Invest in creating a specific brand that will make you stand out, and which could hopefully translate into more sales.
Here are important tips to follow when creating your own brand and advertising your moving company:
- Create or purchase a great logo for which people will recognize you.
- Put your company name and logo on your moving trucks.
- Create company folders, brochures, kits, and collaterals that you can give to people.
- Do online advertising by promoting your business on social media.
- Become a member of local groups.
- Get listed on the directories of local businesses.
- Advertisements in newspapers and other printed publications.
- Invest in a good website that people can check out anytime.
Before starting a moving company, you first need to have a business and financial plans, which will serve as your guide. In addition to that, you have to get all the necessary permits, insurance, and training. Lastly, don’t forget to advertise your business. Keeping all these things in mind could prepare you for a great start, as well as help your moving company to continuously grow and earn significant profits.
Sid Chima is an entrepreneur who owns a professional moving company. Most of Sid’s clients are individuals and families who want to move from one location to another but don’t have any idea on how to do it. Sid has years of experience in helping his clients move locally and overseas and even helped them in moving with their pets.