Have you been practicing law for quite some time under a firm, government body, or private institution and you want a different adventure? Starting a law firm can give you a new direction in life. This, however, is a different challenge altogether as it requires a business perspective in it.
Although your skills as a lawyer form the spine of the firm, legal firms need to be run with business and entrepreneurial skills. You will have to deal with the staffing function, economic cycles, marketing needs, customer service, and costs needed to run this entity.
Equipped with that perspective, there are the requirements you need to fulfill to acquire legitimacy, profitability, and secure ongoing concerns of the firm.
Let’s break down how you can start a firm primed for success.
- Obtain Legal Documentation And Approvals
This is a crucial step in getting your house in order and avoiding run-ins with the authorities. Depending on the locality, the requirements may vary.
The checklist below will ease your search for answers and hasten your launch:
- Minimum Legal Knowledge And Experience – You should ensure you have fulfilled mandatory educational background and experience for practicing law.
- Professional Bodies – You must be registered with a professional body, e.g. Registered European lawyer. These bodies have a code of conduct and internal mechanisms that enhance your authority as a lawyer.
- Insurance Covers – Talk to an insurance agent to help shield you from malpractice liabilities and other workplace liabilities.
- Local Licenses – Local authorities require clearance to operate businesses. Business permits and other clearances should be sought from them.
The legal hurdle is a topmost criterion that you should fully comply with. You should avoid any shortcuts as this may lead to an eventual compulsory closure—which may come when least expected.
- Choose An Ideal Location
Before you start looking for office space, it’s important to look for a location that is ready for business. Factors like population, existing law firms, economic standards, presence of law courts, and a healthy business environment are issues you should consider.
A location with a booming economy may be highly competitive but can help you cut out a niche.
- Choose A Niche Or Area Of Specialization
Any business should be opened to help solve or meet a certain gap in the market. This can be done by crafting a niche or selecting an area that meets this quality. This will help you create an identity and enhance your brand authority.
These are indicative areas you can draw inspiration from:
- Commercial Law – This is a rich area to work on. You can represent entrepreneurs in areas such as contract disputes, representing people hurt in a car accident, shipping complaints and disputes, consumer complaints, and other related areas.
- Criminal Law – This is an area that involves dealing with matters that a public prosecutor has an interest in. These include murder cases, burglary, assault, child abuse, and the general enforcing of public rights and obligations.
With the above broad categories, this can help you narrow down on something that you are good at. Areas you had prior experience with can help you in this quest. Experienced people who’ve been in the industry for long can also help you reach this decision.
- Put In Place A Business Strategy
A business strategy or a master plan can help you launch with a sense of direction. Having spent some years in the legal profession can help you craft a workable plan.
Below are some areas that are vital in this journey:
- Staffing Plan – You should set the minimum number of support staff and associates you need for a start. This helps you structure cost estimates related to furniture, salaries, and other working tools like computers and stationeries.
- Marketing Plan – Marketing will help you originate a business that will be the lifeblood of your organization. Decide which marketing platforms like social media, websites, and other marketing methods you will employ. Talking to your existing networks about your plans can also help ease the struggle of getting clients.
- Develop A Self-Sustaining System – You can acquire customer relationship systems and other team collaboration tools to enhance the smoothness of the operation.
A solid business strategy helps put life into the operation of the firms. You can consult marketing firms to craft a plan that will guarantee you results. Spending time and resources to fully conceptualize the business can help you avoid costly mistakes.
For you to run a successful legal firm, the foundation should be based on your competence with legal practices. On the other hand, business acumen qualities are vital in launching and sustaining them in the long-term.
Ultimately, the success will be a conglomerate of factors like legal competence, a solid marketing plan, customer service, and reliable systems.
Lois Palmer is a car accident lawyer who provides legal services to ensure that her clients do not receive unfair settlements in court. Lois also educates her clients about their rights and privileges during the case.